Cheesy Rice Casserole
(Arroz De Forno)
Today’s recipe is a delicious spin on American cheesy rice casserole, known in Brazil as Arroz de Forno (“oven rice”)
TIPS FOR COOKING GREAT WHITE RICE
Our recipe calls for pre-cooked white rice.
We recommend basmati or another long grain rice, since they have less starch and will not clump together as easily.
- 2 cups cooked white rice at room temperature
- 1 cup cubed ham
- 2 egg yolks at room temperature
- 2.5 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1.5 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded melting cheese (a combo of mozzarella, Colby jack, and cheddar is very nice)
- 1 cup shredded Asiago cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease a medium to large baking dish.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and whipping cream.
4. Add in the rice, ham, diced onion, diced carrots, salt, pepper, and the 2 cups of melting cheeses. Stir to combine.
5. Pour the cheese, cream, and rice mixture into the greased baking dish. Sprinkle the top with the Asiago cheese.
6. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes until the mixture is bubbling and a beautiful golden brown.
7. Let cool for ten minutes, then serve with fresh parsley for garnish. Enjoy!